While this change can be powerful, it's not simple. It requires ongoing effort and consistency. What is this miracle cure?
Working a family schedule.
Before you dismiss this idea as unworkable, take a look at a few advantages for all family members:
- Everyone in the family will be happier.
- It decreases stress in the family.
- You will build stronger family relationships through fun routines and traditions.
- Daily tasks seem more manageable.
- Fewer family disputes.
- Improves resilience for all family members.
- Prevents chronic illness such as diabetes.
There are additional benefits for the parents:
The children (especially those with disabilities) will experience:
- The ability to fall asleep faster because when children are overtired, it takes them longer to fall asleep.
- Body clocks will be set to regular times for eating and sleeping, which is healthier.
- Better cognitive development and learning of new skills.
- Fewer emotional and behavioral problems.
- Better sense of feeling secure.
- Children will be healthier and learn good health habits to use throughout their lives.
- Predictability reduces anxiety.
- Routines teach responsibility, job skills, and time management.
- Lowers risk of school failure.
Experts report it's best to start working a family schedule when children are young, but it's never too late.
Next time: How to begin implementing your family schedule.