Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Value of the Unexpected, and a Contest!

Yesterday was my birthday. My coworkers did an AWESOME job of helping me celebrate, as did my family.

A couple of weeks ago, my husband took me shopping for birthday gifts. I picked out a white blouse, a new jacket, and some boots. When we returned home, he put them in his closet for safekeeping.

In the meantime, life went on. I couldn't find my brown jacket. I wear it all the time because it goes with so many things. I hadn't left it in either office, the car, or anywhere else. I wondered if I had left it at church or a friend's house.

Imagine my surprise when I unwrapped my presents . . . including my old jacket. My husband had gathered it with the rest and it had been hanging safely in my closet. I was just as excited to see this "old friend" as for my new treasures.

Looking for a new treasure that could very well become an old friend?

I'm giving away my copy of Christine Thackeray's book, "The Crayon Messages". See my blog post of January 26 for my review. Loved the book.

Leave a comment telling me which of the following you've done to win:

Posted this on facebook with a link (1 entry)
Blogged about the contest with a link (2 entries)
Tweeted with a link (1 entry)
Left a thoughtful comment sharing an unexpected treasure you have found (1 entry)

Remember--must be a follower to win!

Winner will be chosen Tuesday Morning, February 9.

Good luck!

6 comments:

  1. An old friend I found this weekend in my attic was a teapot castle that my daughter had loved as a child. When she came to visit, I surprised her with it. She lovingly washed it up, then took it home for her own daughter to play with. Sometimes it pays to be a packrat!
    I'd love to win a copy of Crayon Messages, and I will also post your contest on my blog at http://joansowards.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. One year at Christmas we purchased a new printer for our son. We hid the printer in the shed. Christmas Eve I remembered the printer and sent another son out to the shed to get the box. He brought it in and wrapped it for me. Christmas mroning when our son opened his present it turned out to be a box of my clothes and not the printer. Such a goof, he had to try every thing on and model for the family. I, of course, am still reminded of my "error" every Christmas. A little bit different than the anecdote you were expecting, but the memory has been a treasure for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I posted your contest on my blog at www.shelli-proffitt-howells.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted this contest on my FB account. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An old friend . . . Can I count my friends' ages? Probably not, eh? (OK, stop throwing tomatoes!)

    I actually discovered an old friend at church today. I've served in Primary almost for the last 11 years. This morning, I told my hubby that I would really like to go to Relief Society. I'm getting a bit of Primary/life burn-out and just needed my cup filled again. I was so surprised when I got to Primary and discovered only one of my sunbeams was there! The other Sunbeam teacher was super nice and offered to have the little girl join her class so I could go to RS. It was wonderful to be there and yes, my cup was filled. I remembered how much I love RS (in small doses) and how truly aware Heavenly Father is of me and my needs. There just isn't any better "old friend" than that.

    ReplyDelete