Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Author Interview - Scott Hurst, Author of "Open Fire"

Scott Hurst's book, "Open Fire": J. Golden Kimball Takes on the South" is now available! Scott kindly consented to an author interview. 

What motivated you to write your book? 

The first thing that attracted me to J. Golden was his uncanny sense of humor. The second thing, and this is the thing that really got me hooked, was his incredible sense of compassion and humanity.

What surprised you the most about your subject? 

How much he struggled in his life. He had some very severe challenges, some admittedly his own fault and many that weren't, that he managed to weather with a large amount of perseverance, humor and sheer tenacity.

What is your favorite J. Golden story? 

I have several, mostly ending with a classic Golden-ism of colorful language. Instead, let me share with you my favorite Uncle Golden quote, one that sums up not only who he was but really sums it up for all of us: "I may not have always walked the straight and narrow, but I've crossed it as many times as I could." And there's not one cuss word in it!

What most impressed you about him? 

His ability to cross social boundaries. As a general authority he was beloved by not only the LDS people but by non-LDS as well. I think this is, again, due to his great humanity and understanding that no matter who you are, we are all on the same path. We all have strengths and weaknesses. He was very honest about his own, which allowed him to be very understanding of others as well.

If you could sit down with him today, what would you ask him? 

How he'd like his coffee.

How do you find the time to write? Do you have another job? If so, how do you balance everything? 

Time to write. Wow. You just have to make it. I'm not really one to ask about balance, since I don't think I do that great of a job at it. But as far as writing…you have to just sit your behind down in the chair and do it. There is absolutely NO other way to get it done.

Do you have any other projects in the works?

I'm working on a biography of my grandparents who were from both sides of WWII in the Pacific and have a second J. Golden book percolating on the back burner.

You can purchase your own copy of "Open Fire" here and learn more about J. Golden Kimball. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Lynn,
    Thank you so much for your time and your kind review. I tell people I hope they have as much fun reading it as I had writing it -- and I really mean it! I had a blast learning about Uncle Golden!
    Best wishes,
    Scott M. Hurst

    ReplyDelete