Sunday, November 4, 2012

The Power of Making Your Bed

I recently read an article about gaining control of your life. One thing mentioned that had made the most impact was making your bed on a daily basis. Many people see an unmade bed as a reproach or a confirmation of their ineptitude. Others view it as a symbol of the disorder and chaos all around them.

Making your bed takes an average of three minutes. It can be done mindlessly, or in collaboration with another family member. It gives a measure of order to your bedroom. When you return in the evening, it's one less thing to be done.

So, what does this have to do about disabilities? Many times aspects of a physical or intellectual challenge jump up and knock our lives out of kilter. Making your bed gives you back just a little control. It gives you hope for order in the universe. It removes a potential source of agitation. It inspires you to take care of other things you have procrastinated.

This was an overwhelming week. I had family members in the direct path of a superstorm. I wanted to rent the largest vehicle I could find, fill the tank with gas cans, and go get them. I felt helpless.

I found more productive ways to help them by sending in food. I cleaned out a closet in my own house. I met my personal and work responsibilities. I felt a little stronger, more in charge.

We can't always control the events in our lives. But we can carefully choose our actions and reactions. So, go make your bed and look around to see other ways you can improve your life.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the reminder. It's the basics that are the foundation to stability and control of our lives.

    ReplyDelete