Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Wellness Wednesday - Taking Risks and Finding Balance

I had an adventure a couple of weeks ago that has ongoing implications for the rest of my life.

My husband and I were previewing rental properties in anticipation of my son and his family moving into our area. We thought we had found the perfect home for them and reported this information.

On the way home, we stopped for lunch at a local restaurant. We had both eaten there many times before. I thought it was odd that my lips felt "itchy" on the way back to the car. We stopped to do some grocery shopping, and I noticed that my mouth also felt irritated. When the inflammation reached my throat, I realized that I was experiencing an anaphylactic reaction.

Fortunately we were only a block from the hospital, and medical intervention saved my life. We at first believed that this was a reaction to either tuna or broccoli, which had been my lunch. When I returned home (several hours later), I discovered a bite on the back of my knee. My doctor later identified it as a spider bite.

Massive doses of steroids later, I was scheduled to undergo allergy testing to determine the true cause of the reaction, only to discover that it would have to wait as it takes a month for those medications to clear my system.

Meanwhile, I avoid food I didn't make myself as I can't control cross-contamination. I carry an Epi-Pen at all times, and have trained family and coworkers in its use.

I also am on the lookout for spiders.

To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment