Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Book Review - "A Different Kind of Cheerleader" by Lira Brannon

From Amazon:
All I ever wanted was to be a cheerleader. That's it. Just lead my squad running and screaming across the gym floor while the students rocked the bleachers. But that will never happen. Dreams like that stopped after my accident. I'm broken. Like a violin with a missing string-the music inside of me is all garbled up. And despite what my perpetually cheerful physical therapist says-there is no happy ending for someone like me. My BFF and Seb, the one armed assistant coach, keep preaching to me about their God and His love until I just want to scream. But there's something about the two of them-something peaceful and happy that I sometimes think I want. Something that starts me believing that maybe the most impossible dreams can come true.


  • Paperback: 234 pages
  • Publisher: White Bird Publications (May 27, 2014)
  • Language: English
  • ISBN-10: 1937690911
  • ISBN-13: 978-1937690915

This Christian novel is written from the perspective of Tansy, a teen girl who has been confined to a wheelchair following a skateboard accident several years ago. The reader learns to understand Tansy's frustration as she tries to participate in activities with her friends, and struggles with her lifelong dream of becoming a cheerleader. Those who struggle with a disability will be encouraged to find their path through this book, and others will be better able to understand the challenges faced by those who are differently-abled. Great read for teens and adults. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank-you for the kind review. I hope teenagers of all abilities get to read this and find the strength to realize their dreams. Whatever they may be.

    ReplyDelete