Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Wellness Wednesday - Building Relationships

We've been working on things that make you happier and calmer. We can't be happy or calm if those around us are neither. Let's try something to build positive relationships.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about the people I love to be around. Why is everyone so eager to be around them? I'm not talking about the type of popularity you see in high school, but personalities that make others happy.

I think the first thing is that they're friendly. They act genuinely pleased to see you. How can we do this for others? Recognition.

Begin by greeting everyone who comes into your presence. Even if you've already acknowledged them that day, take time to recognize them each time they appear. Say something, look them in the eyes, nod. The point is to do something.

Then take the time to really listen. Turn towards them, make eye contact, and repeat back a short summary of what they've said. If you're pressed for time, let them know that you're interested in what they have to say, promise to get back with them later, then do so.

Next Tuesday, take time to look at the people around you. Are they acting any differently?

My adult children often accuse me of not listening. They're right. I'm often focused on other things. I'll see them this weekend, and make an effort to really acknowledge them and listen. We'll see what happens.

Leave a comment for an entry in the $25 Amazon gift card drawing at the end of February.


1 comment:

  1. I think we lose so many connections with people because of technology. People can't look up from their phones. I am amazed at the number if parents who carry their phones into daycare to pick up their kids or don't get off the phone when picking them up. They miss a critical reconnecting and relationship building moment. Technology is good but it has its evil side. (Katie Burgess)

    ReplyDelete