Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Wellness Wednesday - Starting to Want to Exercise...

It's no secret that I hate exercise. My motto is that I'll run if a bear is chasing me. And then only a little faster than anyone else. Also not above tripping someone.....

Back on topic. I decided in January to improve my health. So far I've lost 22 pounds. I'm dieting, but also making more of an effort to exercise. In the past, I'd go to the gym if someone was waiting on me, or if I couldn't find an excuse to stay home.

I've had a bad cold for the past week, but that's pretty much resolved itself. I found I miss the good feeling I get from exercise, the extra energy, and the lower numbers on the scale. Although my gym buddy couldn't go tonight, I went anyway.

Glad I did. I feel better, and am one step closer to looking better. My blood pressure has dropped from 132/90 (scary) to 113/78 (much better). I have lost two sizes. I feel so energized and am willing to participate in more physical activity.

How do you motivate yourself to exercise?

1 comment:

  1. HI Lynn!
    I think I found those 22 pounds and now I need to drop them! :) Congratulations on your lowered blood pressure, etc.!
    I haven't run in 2 weeks because of a bruised arch and family visits, but I usually run/walk 15-22 miles per week.
    My main motivation is the desire to always be able to do activities with my family, but here is a list of what motivates me to get out approx. 4 times per week:
    1 I run/walk on safe public trails. Only runners or walkers are on those trails, so I don't have to breathe in exhaust fumes or dodge traffic.

    2 Races! I sign up to run in races, and will even travel to a different place to do a fun race...mud runs, 5ks, 10ks, zombie runs, etc.

    3 Although I can't get anyone in my family to exercise with me, they will run the races and it's so fun! We run the races at our best pace and then meet up at the end.

    4 I keep a record of my mileage on Daily Mile and 1Vigor. On the Daily Mile site it translates your training into the number of donuts you have burned, or how many gallons of gas you would have used to travel that distance (they also include many other sports).

    5 I want to be able to climb pyramids, run for miles, and travel everywhere with my family!

    6 I wear running gear that fits the weather. If it's 30 degrees or under, I'll wear some kind of mask, and wear layers that I can tie around my waist as I warm up. I also like compression socks (they seem to help hold my bad calf muscles together! )

    Anyway, those are a few things that help get me out of the door. Also-hearing success stories (like you lowering your blood pressure) also help.

    Great job, Lynn!!! Keep on running!! :)

    ReplyDelete