Here are a few tips to keep challenging chats from becoming hostile or impossible:
- Be polite.
- Don't blame current staff members for mistakes made on other campuses.
- Try not to act hostile--we are not your enemies.
- Don't make assumptions, expain your position calmly.
- Pick your battles. Every phone call is not a time for a laundry list of complaints.
- Be sure the person you contact is in a position to help you--contact teachers about grades, etc.
- Give them 24-48 hours to respond.
- Don't expect information over weekends and school breaks.
- Please understand that there are certain things that can't be done (ignoring crimes on campus, changing grades, etc.)
- If you have a serious problem, talk to an administrator.
How do you make hard conversations easier?